Thursday, October 23, 2008

Distaff Day or Breeder's Cup Day 1

I cannot blog anything about the goofiness of "Ladies Day" that hasn't already been said. One of the best ongoing dialogues is over at Brooklyn Backstretch. So what else is left then but to pick the races.

Filly & Mare Sprint

I'm all about the chalk here. Indian Blessing is something special and has rated enough in her past few races to enable her to pass the frontrunners in deep stretch and gut out the win. Lightly race Zaftig should be in the hunt and a repeat of her Acorn performance will get it done, but I think it's going to be Indian Blessing here.

Juvenile Fillies Turf

Several horses in her are short on experience and who knows how they'll handle the non-routine-ness and loud crowd on Breeder's Cup Day? I am very sorely tempted to pick the improving, undefeated on synthetic Sugar Mom in this spot. We've seen Synthetic form transfer to turf, but this is her first attempt and I'm passing on her for that. Off the strength of her powerful performance in the Jessamine (after bumping at the break), I'm going with Laragh. A repeat of that performance gets it done here.

Juvenile Fillies

Stardom Bound is the choice here. She's only improved as she's been stretched out and has a win over this track. I like the improvement in Doremefasolatido and she should be able to get the distance, but I'm going with the probable chalk here.

Turf

I think this one comes down to French bred Mauralakana and Forever Together. If Forever Together can get this distance, I think she runs down Mauralakana in the stretch and eeks out the win. Betting wise, this one comes down to how they look and the tote board. For the purpose of this blog, I go against my choice on the TBA homepage (http://thoroughbredbloggersalliance.blogspot.com/), Forever Together and go with Mauralanaka.

Classic

Zenyatta.

See you tomorrow evening for a recap and the "Men's Day" picks...yeesh...

No comments: