Wednesday, October 22, 2008

1-2-1-2-1-5

Exotics always kill me (except for the exacta), but today's $1,000,000 carryover at Belmont was too much to pass up. I scraped together some dough and put together a ticket that I outlined in the last post. I'll outline the results here, race by race as they happened. As you can probably surmise by the title, I didn't hit it, but was all the way around it. The pattern killed any Pick3s or 4s that were possible along the way and really made it frustrating. I know there aer folks out there that live to play the Pick 3, 4 & 6's, but other than this occasional splurge, it's definitely not my style.

So here is how I did. This is kind of like the "Dancing With the Stars" results show.

RACE 4

Thank God for the scratch! Winthrop House won it near the front end most of the way. Maybe that's a sign? The fact that my top 3 selections went 1-2-3 is pretty encouraging as well. That being said, it's only one race - but I am a little excited!

RACE 5

THAT didn't last long. Stayawaystella dismantled this field. Eleni's Hope did finish 2nd, but that don't get you squat. As a horse dropping in from MSW I probably should have considered her more, but she showed so little it seemed unlikely she would improve. At 14-1 I wasn't alone, but now I'm just hoping for a consolation 5 of 6.

RACE 6

Tempest Storm tool the lead and was gone. All she wrote. A nice easy win in the third leg and I stay alive for a consolation. Smartgabrielle was nowhere to be found, but we'll take the "w" and move on. As a sidenote, I went 1-2-1 in the 1st 3 eliminating the Pick 3 ticket as well. Arghhh....

RACE 7

Second again. This frigging sucks. Out of the consolation now as well. The Shaugraun at 8-1 won driving while my top choice T Harry, charged hard for second but was just too far out of it. Two firsts, two seconds and not a thing to show for it. The most frustrating thing: again another Pick 3 is trashed. 1-2-1-2...unreal...

RACE 8

Seriously...this is nuts. Mesa Girl wins the 5th leg flying from the outside and beats Doree Daze. So my 2 choices finish 1-2. Now I'm 1-2-1-2-1. Saved some dough by playing the exacta and the 4-1 Mesa Girl across the board. Well, maybe I can at least win back the Pick 6 bet if I can win the last race. Why can't there be a 4 out of 6 consolation...

RACE 9

I got drilled. 5th was the best I could do here. No woulda, coulda, shoulda in this one.

There were a couple of 14-1 winners today, but the P6 was hit and was worth over $509,000. None of that hit my pocket, but it was an interesting exercise and quite frankly, I think I did OK. However, I'll stick with my across the board wagering and the occasional exacta going forward. Unless, of course, there is a million bucks staring me in the face. Then I'll go at it again!

No comments: