Monday, November 9, 2009

Handicapping Breeder's Cup Day 2 - Very Similar to Day 1

The similarity is not good either. As you recall, day one was a train wreck. Day 2 was not much better. Plenty of close, but never the cigar.

Juvenile Turf

I had this one surrounded, but left out Pounced. He certainly lived up to his name and Interactif, while in good position throughout, never had a second gear in the lane. I knew Bridgetown wouldn't get the mile, but missed on who would nail him in the stretch.

Finish: My top 3 finished 3rd, 2nd and 5th.

Turf Sprint

In order for this one to work out for me, Canadian Ballet had to go with California Flag. As I mentioned on the Show, if he's alone down the hill it's all over but the shouting. Canadian Ballet didn't and it was.

Finish: My top 3 finished 4th, 11th and 1st.

Sprint

OK. We ALL missed this one, so I don't feel too badly about it. My only mention of the winner, Dancing in Silks, was that he needed to go wire to wire for the win. Uh...no, no he didn't. Boxcar payouts on this one.

Finish: My top 3 finished 8th, 4th and 5th.

Juvenile

Another one that the world missed. Disregarded 30-1 shot Vale of York out headed hard charging favorite Looking at Lucky. It was another half back to my choice Noble's Promise.

Finish: My top 3 finished 3rd, 2nd and 13th.

Mile

I took a stand against Goldikova on this one strictly on value. My choice, Justenuffhumor (16-1) finished very well, but left too much work for the end. The filly did it again. As I mentioned in the Show, the performance of Zacinto and Delegator would be a bellwether on Rip Van Winkle's chances in the Classic. They folded and he never had a shot.

Finish: My top 3 finished 3rd, 1st and 11th.

Synthetic Mile

My lock of the day, Mastercraftsman, was hardly a master of his craft today. Another boxcar payoff when 21-1 Furthest Land won followed by 24-1 Ready's Echo.

Finish: My top 3 finished 4th, 9th and 3rd.

Turf

I thought I had the tri in this one, but Spanish Moon, trying to rate in 2nd most of the way, displayed no close and was passed by Dar Re Mi heading into the stretch. I gambled on Presious Passion holding on to win and, despite a very gutsy performance in the stretch, was nailed by favored Conduit.

Finish: My top 3 finished 2nd, 4th and 1st.

Classic

I had her wrong. I did not think Zenyatta would hit the board. My reasoning was the field was too large and too talented to give her the opportunity to win unless she was rated closer to the pace. When Quality Road scratched and she showed so much reluctance to load - both times - I figured I was spot on and she was a goner. Hardly. Mike Smith was stellar and the race was one for the ages. Absolutely magnificent.

Finish: My top 3 finished 4th, scratched and 10th.

It was a tough weekend. When I went for value, the chalk won. When I went for chalk, the long shot won. Sometimes you have days like that. Usually you don't have them so public that the world can see, but it is what it is and I'll take the good with the bad.

I'll recap the races in a bit more detail on the radio show Wednesday night, 9PM Central on Blog Talk Radio.

No comments: