Sunday, April 26, 2009

Farewell Chicago!

It's official. Balmoral and Maywood are both part of I Am Woman's past. While looking forward to what Tioga and, possibly later on Pennsylvania, may bring, there will be a fond spot for Chicago - Balmoral in particular, that will remain in my heart.

As she ships off for Tioga, the memory of her three straight wins to lead off 2009 still brings a smile to my face. I was fortunate enough to be at one of those wins. In fact it remains her lifetime best mark. I wish I had a chance to get to Maywood. The experience at Balmoral, the swirling snow notwithstanding, was excellent. The physical plant was large and comfortable and the place had a welcoming racing 'feel' to it. It would have been nice to get a sense of Maywood.

It also would have been nice to get to know the Thoroughbred side of Chicago. A friend of mine runs there and loves it. So, I teed it up with trainer at the ready (Tammy Domenosky - tearing things up at Hawthorne at the moment: 24 starts - 30% winners and 19 in the money finishes), but the bottom dropped out of the economy and partners were tough to come by. It happens. I don't know if Tammy is going to come back to Canterbury or stay for Arlington, but I think that's the plan for the summer and we'll touch base again to see if she'd be willing to train for us in the Fall back at Hawthorne.

I'd like to race in Chicago and would love to have an excuse to visit more often. Those of you folks that jumped on for the ride here, thanks for your support and I hope you continue to follow our progress. Anyone that wants to get more involved - drop me a line, we'd love to have you on board.

Thanks for the memories and here's to the future: Cheers!

No comments: