Friday, October 24, 2008

"Gentlemen's Day" or Breeder's Cup Day 2

I'm being a bit of a smart ass, I know, but doesn't "Ladies' Day" sound just as ridiculous?

OK, enough already, let's get to the card!

Marathon

I like Delightful Kiss in this one. He can get the distance, 2-0 on synthetic and comes from off the pace. That running style worked out great on the main track today so why not tomorrow? Sixties Icon is the European hope and is called the "class of the field". I'll take my chances on the kisser of the Kiss.

Turf Sprint

My choice in here is California Flag. Won over this course in simple fashion last month. I'm concerned about the front running style only because there are so many front-runners in this race. Coming from off the pace will be True to Tradition and Get Funky, but I think California Flag will get this one.

Dirt Mile

I don't know how you beat Well Armed in here. Tracked the pace last out dispelling the notion that he has to be on the engine and he did it over this course. He's beat several in here already and in his last beat Classic contender Tiago. He won't be a big price, but I think he'll be the winner.

Turf Mile

Kip Deville is looking to defend his title in this race and I think he'll do it. He's fresh and his flat race last out was over a yielding track after nearly two months off. They'll be a lot of pace in this race and if Kip Deville can track, he'll be in good shape. If the pace is too hot up front, look for Shakis to beat them all to the wire.

Juvenile

Midshipman. Three good races, two Grade I's - one of them a win and obviously enjoys the synthetic surface. There is not a lot of pace in this race, but the Middy doesn't track too far off whatever the pace.

Juvenile Turf

My TBA pick was Ninth Client, but reviewing the PPs this evening, I can't imagine why now. I think because there really is no pace in this race and if Leparoux can settle Ninth Client, he may be able to steal one. The fly in that ointment? Orthodox is the other speed in the race and if he makes it a contest early, then Ninth Client won't finish and it'll be a cavalry charge to the finish.

Sprint

A short field and they all belong in here: Cost of Freedom, Street Boss, defending champ Midnight Lute, In Summation and Fatal Bullet all are excellent horses and on any given Saturday could win this race. My thought is that there are too many front runners in this race and that will set it up for either Midnight Lute or Street Boss. While Midnight Lute has been training great, there is a hoof concern as well as his only 2008 race being a real stinker. I'll go with the better conditioned Street Boss to close on the field and win this one.

Turf

This one has been about the Europeans in the last 25 years and especially in 8 of the last 11. Soldier of Fortune, Red Rocks and Conduit all look good. However I'll be betting that Grand Courturier will be able to handle the firm going as well as the yielding course he scampered over to destroy the field in the Grade I Turf Classic. I remember watching that race and thinking that "There was one to watch in the Breeder's Cup." And that's what I'm going to do!

Classic

Curlin.

Best of luck to all of you tomorrow. Enjoy a great day of racing and I'll be back to recap Sunday morning (birthday dinner tomorrow evening).

No comments: