Tuesday, October 29, 2013

She's Got "Legs"

I'm getting ready to head out to my first Breeders' Cup and I am very excited.  I can't even imagine what it must like to have a horse actually running in one of the races.

That's not entirely true...

I TOTALLY can imagine it.  I actually think that all of us that own horses can imagine what it must be like.  My nervous anticipation before a $16,000 claiming race must completely pale in comparison.  And what if you have a home bred - a colt or filly that you raised from the very beginning - that you're about to see dance on the biggest stage in racing? I think my ulcer may end up with an ulcer...and absolutely worth it.  It would be intense and an unbelievable honor to carry the Minnesota/Canterbury Park flag into the Breeders' Cup!

While we don't have a Minn-bred in the Cup, we have one that we can follow as one of our own.

DESIGNER LEGS, a two year old filly who is a longshot in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies on Saturday, is one to root for if you're a Minnesota homer.  Owned by Valene Farms with a connection to Wayzata, she broke her maiden at first asking at Canterbury on June 28th.  She followed that up with a win in the Prairie Gold Lassie at Prairie Meadows prior to shipping to Saratoga to take the Grade II Adirondack Stakes (via DQ, but still was an impressive 2nd).  Although her last couple of races, the Grade I Spinaway and Alcibiates, may not have turned out as well as hoped, the Alcibiates was over the synthetic at Keeneland and was also her first time around two turns.

While this is a tough spot, we'll be there rooting hard for her!

No comments: