Saturday, March 6, 2010

Diplo, Tabby and Condition Book I

I apologize about the delay in posting here. It seems like when it rains, it pours and for the third month in a row sad news struck our household. My dear grandmother, Kay Kokoreas, passed away at the age of 93. She lived a long and very full life, but that never makes the passing any easier for those of us left behind. So I was back in my home state of Massachusetts with family for the week and just was not motivated to sit in front of the computer much. For better or for worse, I'm back and there are some doings to get to, which always helps.

Diplo 3rd in Second Race Back

Doug O'Neil brought Diplo back to the races with nine days rest and he finished a nice 3rd in a Cal Bred $40,000 Maiden Claiming race at Santa Anita. This race was a bit further than his 2010 debut going a mile. The distance may have been right, but the time off showed as he came out a bit in the stretch and seemed a little ragged finishing the race. That said, he was beat by two Maiden Special Weight droppers and was only out of first by 3 1/4 lengths. He was over four clear of his next rival and really showed he belonged. I would think we'd see a bit more rest this time and we won't see him entered again until late in the month of March.

Tabby Lane Back at the Track

Tabby went back to the track this past week to gallop and recover from the race where we claimed her. She galloped nicely at Tampa Bay Downs and the generally consensus is that she's most definitely NOT going to be back in a $10,000 claiming race next out. Where that next out will be yet, I do not know, but there are some higher level claiming and some allowance possibilities coming up in the next few weeks so we should see her again on the track soon.

Condition Book I is Out

I always feel like Steve Martin from the movie "The Jerk" when the first condition book from Canterbury Park comes out. No sooner had I seen it online than I received it in the mail. It felt like Spring, even though we have 2 feet of snow on the ground! We start racing up here the day before the Preakness and this 25th Anniversary Season promises to be a good one. I'm looking forward to what the marketing group there has planned for the coming season!

We're still looking for folks that want to join in with us on a Minnesota bred filly that will run at Canterbury this summer. Her cost is reasonable and for $1,000 you'll get a 10% share of her plus expenses covered until the meet opens. As always, we hope she can pay her way from there. Please touch base if you're interested. Time is running short.

1 comment:

Jack said...


I felt the same way when the first CBY condition book came out. I went through the first 3 weeks trying to figure out where we run when we return to MN. With the possibility of 3 horses coming north and each of them in a different situation for us the emails between partners started to fly.

As much as we like the higher purse races elsewhere there's nothing like being at the local track with partners, family and friends watching horses you own run for the wire with the hope of a huge gathering in the winners circle.