Sunday, February 21, 2010

Diplo A Fast Closing Fourth

Diplo made his three year old debut after a four month long hiatus from racing on Friday. He stepped out in a $32,000 Maiden Claiming race at Santa Anita. The race was 7 furlongs and there was a suspicion in the camp that he may need a bit longer.

He started clean enough, but it took him a while to get in gear. For a long while it looked as if we were looking at a last place - or pretty darn close to it - finish. Turning for home he was 10th of 12 and swinging wide. In my office I hung my head in front of my computer and my wife offered up her condolences. He wasn't even in the frame of the shot!

Then, strides from the wire, he bolted onto the screen and was really stretching it out and closing well. He didn't make it to the board, but it was as good a fourth place finish as I've seen. After four months off there can probably be no question that he needed a race. Looking at the way this one played out, Diplo needs a bit more distance as well.

He's got the race. Next out we'll get him the distance then stand back and watch.

No comments: