Friday, December 18, 2009

A Weak Week

Wow...it's hard to believe that it's been a week since I last posted. Eight days to be exact. Between a funeral in Chicago and business in St. Louis, it's been a very hectic week. I have to say, the funeral took an awful lot out of me - more than I imagined. Anyway, during all the travel, I have resorted to taping my thoughts for future blogs and radio shows through an iPhone app (yes, there IS an app for that!) so I can play back and access them at a later date. Unfortunately I only started to resort to that yesterday, so that doesn't really help me today.

New Group

The latest in the horse biz for me right now is translating interest into check writing. Technically we are about 75% full for the next group which has led to some shopping. We are looking at some targets so we can be ready to pull the trigger when the opportunity arises. Those commitments, however, haven't necessarily translated into signed checks and contracts. In actuality, I would have to say that we are only about 50% full so it's going to probably come down to getting a check in and deposited to save your spot. In any event, I'm not going to form the group until January 1. It really didn't seem to make much sense to form a group the last 10 days of December and the pay an accountant to file a K-1 for absolutely no activity. It really didn't seem like a good use of people's money. Lawyers and accountants are necessary, but certainly not at this stage of the game. The close of 2010 will be a different story. Right now it's all about finding the right horse.

Holiday Gifts

Whether you celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas or Kwanzaa, there is some gift giving involved. What would YOU like to offer our friends in horse racing for the coming year? A couple already received:

- That the DeFrancis family brings glory back to Maryland Racing;

- That Bobby Frankel only saddles winners in heaven.

I'm looking for these to be a part of the radio show next Wednesday evening. Rather than a year end wrap up, I'd like to go with a look ahead and what our hopes and dreams are for the coming year. They can be National or parochial; well known names or your favorite local horseman/woman. Send them in to me at ted@grevelisracing.com. Feel free to explain them to you hearts content and we'll get them on the air with as much backstory as you'd like to provide!

No comments: