Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fizzy Under Other Colors

This will be odd this afternoon. I'll be watching Fizzy Pop's race today with less intent than at any time in the last 18 months. He's now running for somebody else.

When he enters the starting gate in the 4th race at Remington Park this afternoon he'll be in the colors of JT Racing and trained by Michael Teel. The race is a $15,000 claiming affair going a mile and sixteenth on the turf course. He'll be in familiar company in the starting gate as well. Former stablemate Onotheregoestokyo, the morning line favorite, will be in the field under former rider Dean Butler. Little Wagon, the horse that blurred past Fizzy in the stretch last out at $10,000 to win, is entered as well. Canterbury runner Chaska is in the line-up as is Spidey Power, dropping in from $50,000 Claiming having spent his summer in stakes company at Canterbury.

Fizzy is 20-1 in the morning line and probably deservedly so. He ran a nice race last out, but he didn't win against $10,000 claiming competition and now he moves up in class against the horse that cleaned his clock last out. Each race is different and the races aren't run on paper, however. Just ask the owners of Interpatation who upset the field at 40-1 today in the Grade I Joe Hirsch Turf Classic at Belmont. Any given day, right?

I want Fizzy to do well because I love the horse. I've often repeated how wonderful he is to be around. If he doesn't do well though, our decision to drop him to $10,000 would be validated. It's a weird dynamic, I have to admit. Personally I want him to do well, though professionally it would work out better for me. I hope this makes some sense. If it doesn't it's probably because my feelings about the race are unclear to me as well!

Just let him come home safe...

No comments: