Friday, August 7, 2009

On the Air With "Owning Racehorses"

Perhaps no mention in an earlier post generated more e-mails to me than the mention about the possibility of a taking this Blog to Blog Talk Radio. Some were all for it and others challenged me as to what I could bring to the table that others don't already. Fair enough. I'll tackle here what I plan on doing and what I don't plan on doing. You can choose to click and listen or not. I'm OK with either one you choose.

The game plan is to get rolling on Wednesday, August 26 at 10 PM Central Time. This is the day before the final weekend of racing here at Canterbury Park and that Sunday is the Minnesota Festival of Racing. That first show will have some discussion of what's happening at Canterbury over the weekend. Yeah, it's parochial, but just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean that it has to be all things to all people.

As a race horse owner, I'm hoping that folks who either own race horses or those that would like to own race horses will tune in and, especially, call in. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but maybe some other folks tuning in will have some answers and we can knock things around a bit until there are some answers.

I've been in several racing partnerships and now run my own. I've learned from the very best and learned from the very worst. I hope that my experiences can help some people that are thinking about joining a partnership somewhere. We'll tackle the highs and lows of ownership sharing not only my own experiences, but more importantly those of callers as well.

I hope we bring together a community of race horse owners and racing enthusiasts discussing what we love and what we'd like to change about our sport/game/business. At some point I can envision we'll touch upon race day medication, the use of steroids in developing young horses, cranking up two-year olds for super fast pre-sale works, girls running against the boys, retiring racehorses, the Breeder's Cup, synthetic surfaces and any number of other topics.

I don't plan on being controversial. I have no desire to be loud and blustery for the sake of being blustery. I'm not looking at calling anyone out, putting anyone on the spot or becoming the Rush Limbaugh of racing radio. I will, however, call it like I see it and I hope that all the folks listening will as well.

A couple of house keeping points: You can reach the show details by clicking on the button on the upper left of this Blog page. You do have to register as a listener. I know, I know - another thing to register for, but there are a ton of shows out there and you may find other stuff you like - besides mine, of course. You can mark my show as a favorite and also schedule a reminder (not like you won't hear it from me enough!). The call in number for the show is (347) 994-3374. This is a New York number so toll charges will apply - I'm sorry about that, but not much I can do about that yet, but there is a "Click to Talk" button on the show page that'll get you on just like a caller without having to make a call. Just make sure that your mic function works on your computer.

I hope this'll fly. Not to just succeed, but because it should be fun. I hope it's fun for the listeners as well and I hope that you'll all join me.

No comments: