Saturday, June 6, 2009

Random Odds And Ends

This weekend I'm in Las Vegas visiting the kids and taking in some Little League baseball. In fact, Forrest picked up the save in his AAA team's victory this evening. We're turning around and doing it all over again tomorrow, which will leave me Belmont-less for the second year in a row. I'm just going to skim through some topics here and get back in depth again, hopefully, tomorrow evening with a preview of Fizzy Pop's next race Sunday afternoon.

The Belmont Stakes

I have no real opinion here. I was one who absolutely blew off Mine That Bird in the Derby and didn't think he could repeat the performance in the Preakness. I was absolutely wrong on both counts. There is some value lying around if you choose to pick against him, but who am I to go against Calvin Borel? With no strong opinion, I'll take the Bird see if he gets the distance.

I Am Woman

Her last effort was less than spectacular. In fact, it was awful. She was a badly beaten 8th and really didn't show much the entire trip. It may be getting time to turn her out for a bit or send her back to Chicago where she's at least competitive. The purses are nothing special, but so far neither is she. If she can race and be competitive on that circuit, then great. If not,I hope we help find her another career.

Fizzy Pop

Fiz is back in this weekend Sunday afternoon at Canterbury. He'll be racing in the 6th race, a $20,000 Optional Claiming race at a mile and a sixteenth over the turf. Jose Ferrer is back up. I'll be back to break down that race by Sunday morning. I think he's in a really good spot and coming into the race well. I have concerns about Ferrer, but that may be me. I wasn't thrilled the way he rode the last race especially when he came out to the paddock with just enough time to get a leg up and no real instructions from Bernell. That said, there may have been extenuating circumstances in the jock's room that caused him to be late, he's been having a good meet and I should try not to cut my nose off to spite my face. If Bernell trusts him again, I'll give him another shot.

That's a quick look around the horn while I'm out. I hope you all enjoy the Belmont, The Brooks Fields (here at Canterbury this weekend) and your own Little League tournaments!

No comments: