Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I Am Woman Tries to Make it Three for March

Hopefully March will come in like a lion and go out like a lion for I Am Woman at Balmoral park tonight. The little lady is once again entered in the non-winners of two lifetime OR $5,000 lifetime. It's the 4th race on your card and again she has drawn the one hole.

A brief rundown of the field:

1. I AM WOMAN

2. Bad Boy's Toy - Already beaten twice by our gal.

3. Claudie - Finally got her first win last out under an absolutely perfect pocket trip leaving from the rail. She won't leave from the rail this time and may be shuffled back early.

4. Miss Violet - A nice second last out in a game trip.


5. Johns Lil Sis - Anther gamer who closed well last out. Simpson forgoes this drive to drive I Am Woman. I hope he's right!

6. Go Get Satin - Hasn't shown much and can't believe she will here either.

7. Free Parking Behind - After an impressive start to 2009, she has finished well behind our girl twice more recently.

8. Life of Reilly - She missed her last start due to illness and before that was beaten by I Am Woman by 5.5. Still stuck outside, I can't see her as a factor.

9. So Not Funny - Also sick last out, the closest she's been in her career is 12 lengths behind the winner. the 20-1 morning line seems generous.

Interestingly, no one but Miss Violet and I Am Woman in this group has shown any inclination to go to the front. Another partner has mentioned that he believes she will wire this field tonight. I admire his optimism! Looking at the Past Performances, I think that's the style she'll have to adopt tonight against these. It looks as though the rest of the contenders want to come from off the pace and coming from the rail, she may have to either lead them around or tuck in behind Miss Violet and beat them in the stretch.

I know we initially were surprised at I Am Woman faltering in the stretch last out 10-days ago, but she scoped a bit sick the next day. She was given some treatment and rest and looks to be 100% going into the race tonight. In my opinion, this is kind of a make it or break it race for her. If she can show enough improvement since her first to lower her lifetime best as well as easily handle this field, it could be time for bigger and better things. If she can't...well, I don't really want to think about that right now!

No comments: