Monday, October 22, 2007

I Digress

Once again I find myself digressing, and I apologize, but I couldn't resist. It is my second favorite subject - Boston sports:

THE SOX ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!

I find it hard to believe that we're in the Series again just three years after our last one. In my lifetime I had to wait 8 years, 11 years and 18 years between appearances. My two youngest sons just think that this is way things are - every few years the Sox make it the World Series. Little do they know the pain and suffering that their old man and papou (Greek for grandpa, by the way) had to endure. Dad, for the record, had to live through '46 as well. I can readily admit that I was almost unbearable to speak with last Thursday down 3-1. I KNEW that '04 was a fluke and here we go again. But they did it. They did it again, and it's starting to dawn on me...it's a new century - RED SOX CENTURY. Now the Yankees can't get out of their own way, their own dysfunction eating them alive. The Indians have taken our place as the team that can't close the deal. Youklis and Pedroia, home grown talent (like No Hit Bucholtz and Mr. Excitement Ellsbury), just carrying the team in Game 7. Youk spends the entire season at 1st without a single error and Pedroia destined to be Rookie of the Year. Throw in Manny being Manny, Mr. Clutch Papi and Cy Young Winner-to-be Beckett with a dash of Career Year Lowell, and JD "Is one grand slam in the playoffs worth $70 million to you?" Drew and anchor it all with Tek and some wasabi from Japan and BINGO, we're back!! I don't know if my heart can handle the roller coaster, but I'm going to give it a try.

So now we have the World Series, an undefeated Patriots, BC putting the BC in BCS and Garnett, Allen and Pierce, oh my!

God - thank you for allowing me to be born in New England.

No comments: